Friday, January 27, 2012

Life's layers are sometimes filled in with those people who are taken out of our lives suddenly.  In the last 7 days I have learned of 2 men that I would call friends that passed unexpectedly.  Complex is this beast Facebook, for although I do not know how I would have learned of George's passing with out it, I do not like how fast news does travel with this beast.

George and I were friends in the Central Michigan University's Park & Rec program.  We attended the Disney College Program together and were room mates.  I attended his wedding and I think he attended mine. Although I had not seen him in 8 years or so, occasionally he would comment on something and I still enjoyed his dry sense of humor.  I hope your work on the SS City of Milwaukee continues on preserving what you poured so much of your life's purpose into.  You were a bright light in the world, optimistic about things that seemed so improbable sometimes.  Oh, and that crazy attempt with Dan to caravan 3 vehicles and a trailer from Mi to Fla. at least we all made it there.

Martin and I were in church together for 2 or 3 years and served on council together.  I sat in a lot of meetings with him and learned about him by watching him.  He was strong in his faith and convictions and even though we didn't always agree, I never thought it personal.  When my husband and I first arrived to that church Martin was one of those easy to talk to welcoming people, he made the awkwardness of the situation not so harsh.  Politically involved, knowledgeable, and a veteran he served God, country and family.

May both these men be at peace, your families will miss you greatly for you were taken so suddenly. Know that you touched my life, and overlapped onto the layers of my own.
Miss you guys, but I know I'll see you again!

No comments:

Post a Comment